I am a Principal Engineer at Amazon (AWS). Previously, I was a Member of Technical Staff at Confluent working on Apache Kafka and before that I was a Senior Researcher at Microsoft Research. I was also Honorary Research Fellow at Imperial College London during 2015-2017. I have broad interests in computer systems and enjoy the full spectrum of work from academic research to shipping and operationalizing real products. I received my PhD (ECE, 2007), Masters (ECE, 2003) and Bachelor (ECE + CS + Math minor, 2002) degrees all from Carnegie Mellon. My PhD advisor was Prof. Greg Ganger.
Linkedin profile is probably more up-to-date.
Here are some selected (academic) publications:
- sRoute: Treating the Storage Stack Like a Network. In FAST’16, Santa Clara, CA, USA. February 2016. PDF
- End-to-end performance isolation through virtual datacenters . Sebastian Angel, Hitesh Ballani, Thomas Karagiannis, Greg O’Shea, and Eno Thereska. In OSDI’14, Broomfield, CO, USA. October 2014. PDF
- IOFlow: A Software-Defined Storage Architecture. Eno Thereska, Hitesh Ballani, Greg O’Shea, Thomas Karagiannis, Ant Rowstron, Tom Talpey, and Timothy Zhu. In SOSP’13, Farmington, PA, USA. November 3-6, 2013. PDF Slides (PPT)
- Lost in Translation: Understanding the Possession of Digital Things in the Cloud.William Odom, Abigail Sellen, Richard Harper, Eno Thereska. In Proceedings of the ACM SIGCHI Conference on Human Factors in Computing Systems, Austin, TX. May 5-10, 2012. PDF
- Sierra: practical power-proportionality for data center storage. Eno Thereska, Austin Donnelly, Dushyanth Narayanan. Proceedings of Eurosys’2011, Salzburg, Austria. April 10-13. PDF
- Everest: Scaling down peak loads through I/O off-loading. Dushyanth Narayanan, Austin Donnelly, Eno Thereska, Sameh Elnikety, Antony Rowstron. Proceedings of the 8th USENIX Symposium on Operating Systems Design and Implementation (OSDI ’08), San Diego, CA. December 8-10 2008. PDF